Diagnosis: He is bright, and bored. Much to the chagrin of the teacher, instead of feeding him Ritalin, he was to be set aside and given books to read.
But I do have to wonder, if these kids cannot learn to sit down and be bored, where are our future soldiers coming from? Fire fighters? Accountants? Journalists? Nutritionists? We need real robots to fill these chairs, and schools are fighting hard to make sure that happens.
I have an image from my youth: Picture a group of boys standing around a car, hood open, peering at the engine, talking about how it works, how to soup it up, how to make it go faster, racing it, risking their lives. They were learning in a learning environment, challenging their boundaries. These same boys were probably poor students. Who knows, they might have suffered from ADHD before the term was invented, otherwise known as “being bright in a dull environment.”
They’ve got a new one now, and thanks JC for pointing this out. It is called “oppositional defiant disorder.” This is right out of the DSM-IV, I am not kidding:
An ongoing pattern of disobedient, hostile and defiant behavior,” symptoms include questioning authority, negativity, defiance, argumentativeness, and being easily annoyed.
The psychiatric profession was of great use to the CIA in perfecting methods of torture and was right at the center of MKULTRA, the experiments in mind control in the 1950’s forward that gave us Jonestown and lord only knows what else. If these cretins have thought up a name for natural skepticism in the face of official truth, I fear the remedy. The penalty for being unduly bright and naturally bored in school is Ritalin. In the old Soviet Union, inability to believe official government truth landed people in psychiatric hospitals. What have the dullards who are giving us DSM-IV in store for us?
Oh God, it just came to me – the ultimate punishment: More schooling. Pogie as the teacher.
- CCD: Compulsive conformist disorder;
- DESW Doe-eyed swallowing whole, or uncritically believing television news.
- PMD Preoccupation with Mindless Drivel, or watching TV in a trance-like state.
- SWEDE, Swallowing Everything Despite Evidence
- JAD Jersey Affinity Disorder, or stealing the identity of a professional athlete and placing it on one’s back
- LOL or the more severe ROTFLMAO, minds smothered in mindless catchphrases from television or Internet
- SPEARS disorder, assuming that heavily promoted singers have real talent;
- SASD Short attention sp…
- OBAMAMANNA allowing perceived moral superiority to cloud objective judgment
- SWAT Swing Without Actually Thinking, or assuming that someone who doesn’t conform to Groupthink suffers from Oppositional Defiant Disorder.
Add your own diseases. This could be fun.