The origin of the Watergate tapes

I’ve been repainting my garage, a huge project that has taken several weeks now. For background music I’ve been using Mae Brussell. Hours go by where nothing significant pops up and then …

Here’s one item of humor: On one broadcast she announced that she was not paying federal income tax in protest. She very quickly got a call from an IRS agent, and the interesting thing was that she recorded the broadcast on Tuesday to be aired on Saturday. She got the call on Thursday.

She was nonchalant about stuff like that, understanding the spook community better than most.

Here’s something she mentioned yesterday that made me drop my paintbrush. She is broadcasting in July of 1973 and Alexander Butterfield has just testified before the Watergate committee and dropped his bombshell. He told the committee that Nixon recorded all of his conversations in and around the oval office.

alexander-butterfield1Not so, says Brussell. The tapes are news to Nixon too. Butterfield, she says, is CIA, and probably assigned to babysit Nixon. Part of the babysitting operation, in effect since 1963, is that the CIA has wiretapped the White House. Every time Nixon enters a room anywhere in the building, a microphone is activated and picks it up.

We were told that Nixon installed the taping system for history’s sake. That’s just a cover story, says Mae.

Later Bob Haldeman would voice the suspicion that Butterfield was CIA in his book The Ends of Power. Mae knew her spooks.

Preposterous, you say? No, not at all. Plausible. It’s just another implication of the military takeover of our government that happened on 11/22/63. Watergate came about because CIA was having trouble controlling Nixon, just as they had with JFK and LBJ, both of whom were retired from office early. The early indications that Nixon was going to be a problem mostly likely came from surveillance.

We live in an era where every journalist and politician is wiretapped. I take that for granted, and Mae took it for granted in 1973. And it never occurred to me before, never, that the Watergate tapes were a CIA spook operation.

This entry was posted in History. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The origin of the Watergate tapes

Great stuff. The Quaker town I grew up in had some IRS activity around tax protesting against the Vietnam War. In most cases, as I recall, funds were put into escrow accounts. I can’t remember anyone going to jail. Not sure how many do that today, but on the other hand, the government seems to have no limit to the amount of fiat money it can, and will, print.

• I sat next to the president of a small bank many years ago during a luncheon. Just chatting, he told me that during World War II they sold War Bonds, but that the money raised was peanuts. The objective was just to get money out of the economy, as there was nothing to buy.

There is a lot of illusion in the tax game, unstated objectives, hidden taxes ( the best kind!). If we did not have taxes, inflation would go wild.

2. Joe Blow says:

Keep it up. You’re doing good work. I luv the smell of CIA burning in the morning! Nothing beats it. It smells like the old America we were brought up in. And ‘sides, galloping cancer at our age. Who cares? And really, I fly in small planes all the time. I’m not worried in the least. Really, when you think about it, not a bad way to go! But suicide? Nope. That ain’t my style. And ‘sides, as we both know, being good Catholic school boys, it’s a sin!

• Larry, you’re not like banned or anything, so there’s no need to hide behind a pseudonym. And ridicule is easy, you know. Any damned fool can do it, though you are not any damned fool. You’re exceptional. And what’s up anyway? Those are more words than you can usually string together in a comment. The drugs worn off?

• Joe Blow says:

Well, actually, you did ban me, not to put to fine a point on it. But I use your site for all the great links you post. Saves me a lot of searching. And you have finally discovered what I discovered long ago, that the JFK murder was a coup and a seminal point in our country’s history. It was simply a little more refined coup than the exact same tactics used in Latin America starting about the same time. Guatemala was probably the first in ’54, and Che realized before anyone else what was coming next. He was way ahead of his time. I consider him to be one of the greatest figures of the twentieth century.

Americans didn’t understand that the guys who murdered Kennedy considered the U.S. to be simply another third world country ripe for exploitation. And that is exactly where we’re headed You want to see what America will be in thirty years? Pick any Latin American country that underwent CIA intervention. No unions, no public ed, no health care, no common good, no native rights, no public land, only the elites.

The ONLY thing left to do is to get some of those directly involved on lie detectors before they die. George Bush for starters. And the Koch brothers. They knew, ’cause their daddy was in on it too.

• Joe Blow says:

p.s. I don’t write much any more because there is really nothing left to say. I think it’s pretty much game over for this country. For example, I saw a poll somewhere one time that I haven’t been able to find again that shed some light on where we’re at. A large percentage of people agreed that even if the government caused 911 but did so because it was necessary, they approved! (in order to get the Mooslims) It don’t get more game over than that!

• I am alwasy perplexed by polls of public opinion of a deeply uninformed and propagandized public. Why bother? The only reason would be as a gauge of the effectiveness of the indoctrination system, to fine tune it.

The poll you mentioned sounds bogus anyway.

• steve kelly says:

It’s never over in America. Can always find interesting work for fresh volunteer troops in the woods. Bring music, bring beer, (no Nuland cookies please), bring yourself. The battle continues. Pick your favorite forest, there are active skirmishes from one end of the state to the other. You know, “Beatlemania.” Public forests can’t protect themselves.

• Joe Blow says:

I like your optimism, Steve. And yes, I’ve done my share in the eco battles. It’s time for the next generation to attempt to save something for themselves. It’s gonna take youth to be effective. Now, I’ll spend some time enjoying what’s left of Montana. Hell, I put my life on hold for some twenty-five years fighting eco battles, mainly the gold mining industry.

• steve kelly says:

You’re always welcome to join the fray. After all, you have experience. Enjoy.

• No one is banned here. That sort of thing is always temporary.

What I find is that I am dealing either with people of depth and broad context and who treat arguments seriously and understand implications and have good problem solving skills and avoid group-think (ridicule is a symptom of group-think), or people with no depth or background, aware only slightly of events but pretending to be deeply-read, and who come here, lob a bomb or two, and then disappear again.

Why don’t you disappear for say, five years, and do some reading, gain some insight. Then come back and we can have a serious exchange. And don’t tell me you’ve already done that. We both know that is not true.

• Joe Blow says:

Yes, and your life changed dramatically once you read the book that I had already read and suggested to you. We both know that is true. And you cannot possibly know what I already know, and I guess that bothers you to no end. But I will say that in your arrogance, you seem to have gone off the deep end. I can’t figure out why, nor do I care to try. You see, mark, you can’t possibly know what I know, for you weren’t there! ie. Vietnam and other locals. Reading is a poor substitute for the real thing. Experience that is. And with experience comes knowledge and wisdom. Reading simply gives you the tools to express yourself better. Think about the great American authors. Each and every one of them LIVED authentic lives before they wrote one word.

• I’ve always found that soldiers know very little of the wars they fight. One, boot camp is also, in prior times, known as “indoctrination,” and two, the military specializes in compartmentalization. It’s better to have a broad overview, which does not require going to the places we are invading and attacking.

I know of Iraq soldiers and veterans who actually thought they were over there defending us. Honest. That’s what they think.