#3000: Adios, compadres

David Lifton was at an impasse. He was investigating the description of wounds suffered by JFK as described by doctors at Parkland and at Bethesda. They differed significantly. It was a contradiction. He struggled with the notion that one group or the other was lying, but that did not resonate. Each side seemed sincere.

He remembered advice from Ayn Rand …

Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong.

Instead of questioning the integrity of the doctors, Lifton took another tack: Suppose that everyone is telling the truth, but that between Parkland and Bethesda, the body was altered? This was his breakthrough, making his research among the most important ever done in the investigation of the murder. It led him to ambulance chases and Jackie and RFK unknowingly escorting an empty casket from Dallas to Bethesda that night. (We now have good reason to think that the LBJ swearing-in ceremony aboard Air Force One in Dallas, completely unnecessary, was staged to gather everyone at the front while the body was spirited out of the back of the aircraft.)

Rand’s critical thinking device is invaluable, so much so that it can also be used to unravel and discredit her goofy economics and objectivism. It is the most important thing I have learned in the last twenty-seven years. I recommend it to all. It will guide you through everything you see around you. Never let a contradiction rest.

Adios, compadres. It’s been mostly fun.

May all my friends be safe and well,
May all my enemies go to hell.
Noel, Noel, Noel.
(Ogden Nash, Christmas card)

This entry was posted in American wilderness and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to #3000: Adios, compadres

1. Steve W says:

The late Boyd Bushman said “Data doesn’t have to make sense, it just has to be truthful.”

“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.”
    – Ed Abbey

3. JC says:

I’ll double down on Steve Kelly’s comment:

“Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”
    –Dylan Thomas

4. Steve T. says:

“Alas, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to live among such excellent and admirable hobbits.” [cheers abound.] “I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

-Bilbo Baggins

5. Good luck, Mark. I’m sorry to see you go.

6. Big Swede says:

‘If his unpleasant wording has in some way enlightened the rest of you as to the grim finish beneath the glossy veneer of blogging life and inspired you to change your ways, then his inquiries carry with it an inherent nobility, and a supreme glory. We should all be so fortunate. You say poor Mark? I say poor us”.-Gone in 60 Seconds Quote with a few changes.

• Luckyman says:

Eventually, the sane grow tired and weary of tilting at windmills and retire to take care of those nearest and dearest (and themselves) I do not blame those who have fought and contributed and now wish to rest. I am there myself.

• Luckyman says:

I don’t see it as quitting so much as it is a rest and change in direction. I understand not writing or blogging. My life example has changed more minds/hearts than any of my writing or arguing on blogs ever has, even though my particular life example sphere of influence extends only to FRAN (friends, relatives, acquaintances and neighbors) and co-workers.

7. The real Abe Froman Jack Ruby guy says:

Sorry to see you go mark I hope you come back and continue in the future, I enjoyed reading your thoughts. My commenting gave out when kids and work became more time consuming but I always came back to catch up here every few weeks. Take care

8. petetalbot says:

Good luck, Mark, on your future endeavors.