A while back I offered up what I called “One Last Climate Post“, and indeed I stand by that. My reasoning was that the debate that I was reviewing was very old and that all the players were well known. The “science” was new to me, and I was treading in deep water, not knowing enough about it to be writing about it.
Since that time I have been immersed in the science, and now feel much more comfortable with it. It is accessible to all of us, and not hard to comprehend. All we need do is look around us. For every scary claim by climate scaremongers and doomsayers, there is ample evidence that the planet is doing well. Polar bears are many and healthy, storms, fires, droughts are lessening in number and intensity. Carbon is increasing in the atmosphere, and the positive effects are now coming to fruition with a greener planet. Gradual warming, as has been going on for 400 years now, is a positive thing. Where the Roman Warm Period gave rise to an empire and an explosion in technology, the Little Ice Age brought with it the Dark Ages and Black Death. Our current warm period is yielding more food, more and healthier people and amazing technology.
I think it is the “more and healthier people” aspect of our warming period that spawned Michael Mann and the arrayed forces behind him. They are trying to scare us into de-carbonizing. Here’s an email from “Climategate” that is somewhat revealing, dated 10/3/2003:
“Let our supporters in higher places use our scientific response to push the broader case against [Steve McIntyre and Ross McKitrick]. So I look forward to people’s attempts to revise the first [paragraph in] particular. I took the liberty of forwarding the previous draft to a handful of our closet colleagues, just so they would have a sense of approximately what we’ll be releasing later today – i.e., a heads up as to how [M and M] achieved their result.”
Mann is nothing but a propagandist and an asshole. He denigrates anyone who disagrees with him, and has gone so far as to get people fired from scientific journals to shut them up. But in immersing myself in the science (or lack of it) behind him, it has become apparent that the science doesn’t matter. So I am not surprised that anti-Mann material is all over YouTube, otherwise a heavily censored medium. In the same manner, it does not matter that Michael Mann has been exposed as a fraud by McIntyre and McKitrick, that MM has been undone by MM. It is a sideshow, a distraction, nothing more. Mann knows his science is bogus, and also that he will continue to occupy a high profile in the media. He is juiced.
So what’s up? Despite the corruption of the “climatology” community, the anti-carbon agenda is in full-speed ahead mode. Donald Trump, who pulled us out of the Paris Accords, is most likely an “anti,” that is, someone used as controlled opposition who will actually advance the opposite agenda that he purports to support. He did this with Obamacare, so why not Climate Change?
The latest scare being brought our way, and I mean scare as in “My God, I hope they don’t pull this off,” is the Green New Deal being pushed by new frontispieces, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Ed Markey. Here it is as summarized by Wikipedia:
- 1. Guaranteeing a job with a family-sustaining wage, adequate family and medical leave, paid vacations, and retirement security to all people of the United States.
- 2. Providing all people of the United States with – (i) high-quality health care; (ii) affordable, safe, and adequate housing; (iii) economic security; and (iv) access to clean water, clean air, healthy and affordable food, and nature.
- 3. Providing resources, training, and high-quality education, including higher education, to all people of the United States.
- 4. Meeting 100 percent of the power demand in the United States through clean, renewable, and zero-emission energy sources.
- 5. Repairing and upgrading the infrastructure in the United States, including . . . by eliminating pollution and greenhouse gas emissions as much as technologically feasible.
- 6. Building or upgrading to energy-efficient, distributed, and ‘smart’ power grids, and working to ensure affordable access to electricity.
- 7. Upgrading all existing buildings in the United States and building new buildings to achieve maximal energy efficiency, water efficiency, safety, affordability, comfort, and durability, including through electrification.
- 8. Overhauling transportation systems in the United States to eliminate pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation sector as much as is technologically feasible, including through investment in – (i) zero-emission vehicle infrastructure and manufacturing; (ii) clean, affordable, and accessible public transportation; and (iii) high-speed rail.
- 9. Spurring massive growth in clean manufacturing in the United States and removing pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from manufacturing and industry as much as is technologically feasible.
- 10. Working collaboratively with farmers and ranchers in the United States to eliminate pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the agricultural sector as much as is technologically feasible.”
Items 1-3 are right out of the Green Party agenda, debatable but not new. I tend to support government-sponsored health care, as insurance companies are so corrupt that a government-run system cannot be worse than what we have. I remember back in the day proposals for a guaranteed national income, free higher education for all … these things have legitimate proponents and detractors. It is good fodder for open and honest debate. Have at it. Honesty abounds on all sides, and anyway, as in the past, nothing will come of it.
Items 4-10 are a recipe for a New Dark Age rather than a Green New Deal. And note this: all seven of these proposals are based on bad science. The science does not matter.
The ongoing climate debate is a sideshow, and meant to be that. The real thrust of Mann-Gore and company is to halt the spread of wealth, health and prosperity, to put an end to a greening planet, and to put us back in the Little Ice Age (if not literally, figuratively). That they call it a “Green New Deal” is the ultimate irony. They are amazingly in-our-faces crooked and corrupt.
This is where we need to focus our efforts, to get the Green New Deal Movement to go save some other planet somewhere else. I suggest Mars, as we are fake-going there anyway.
By the way, there is a new scare now concerning species extinction called the Biodiversity Report, from the same people who gave us the Hockey Stick. Judith Curry here highlights the testimony of Marc Morano, who in long and passionate written testimony claims that the emperor has no clothes. For this reason he is scorned by the others offering testimony. They say he should not be allowed to interfere with their lie-fest. It is a long post by Dr. Curry, but highly recommended.